For many people, back pain seems inescapable. Many people live with back pain for years without seeking proper treatment or knowing the true cause. At Community Chiropractic Center in Poway, CA, we help patients heal from back injuries, manage their chronic pain and avoid injuries in the future. Our experienced, skilled chiropractors, Dr. Burdette and Dr. LaHood, have experience treating a range of conditions that cause back pain, from sciatica to car accidents.
Back Pain Types and Causes
Typically, back pain can occur in three areas of the back: upper, middle and lower. Pain that occurs in the upper back commonly occurs because of poor posture or habits like sitting for long periods of time. People who work at desk jobs often experience upper back pain.
Middle back pain often goes hand-in-hand with upper back pain. People who sit incorrectly while working often experience middle back pain, which generally occurs as a result of muscle strain.
Lower back pain often occurs because of poor lifting habits, bad curvature of the spine, weight problems, or injury. In addition, there are many common conditions that cause back pain. These conditions include:
- Sciatica. Sciatica is a condition that occurs in the lower back, as a result of the spinal cord becoming pinched. People with sciatica often experience pain radiating down the legs, and may also experience pain or numbness in the upper buttocks and in the legs.
- Whiplash. Whiplash is a condition that occurs when the neck muscles become strained, often as a result of an accident. Whiplash is a common problem among car accident and personal injury victims.
- Spinal stenosis. Spinal stenosis is a condition that occurs when the chamber in the spinal column becomes narrow, thus pinching the spinal cord.
- Herniated disc. This is a condition that occurs when the spongy pad between vertebrae of the spine becomes damaged.
Back Pain Chiropractic Care
Spinal adjustment is the primary means that our chiropractors use to treat back pain. With this technique, our doctors realign the vertebrae of the spine and restore balance between the vertebrae and the spinal cord. This method can be done by hand or with tools, depending on the needs of the patient. Different types of pain can originate in different parts of the spine, so our chiropractors first assess the needs of the patient and then administer spinal adjustment to the parts of the back where adjustment is needed.
In addition, we use the following methods to relieve back pain:
- Massage therapy. Our massage therapists loosen the muscles of the back and improve blood flow to damaged parts. Massage therapy helps break down scar tissue, reduce compensatory postures and restore normal back function.
- Stretches. We teach our patients to perform stretches that correct their posture, strengthen the muscles and improve their resiliency, thus reducing the chances of future injury.
- Spinal decompression. Spinal decompression is a non-invasive method that uses negative pressure to put herniated and bulging discs back in place.
- Nutrition counseling. Our nutrition counseling services help our patients control their weight and reduce pressure on the lower back.
Contact Community Chiropractic Center
Back pain that goes untreated can turn into a chronic condition. Patients who live with long-term back pain often assume compensatory postures to reduce their pain and increase their comfort. Over time, standing in unnatural ways can lead to problems like subluxations. Poor posture can also put pressure on the joints, causing permanent damage to the back.
Don’t live with chronic pain. At Community Chiropractic Center in Poway, CA, we deliver natural back pain treatment to patients in need. As your source for back pain management, our chiropractors and massage therapists can help you relieve tense muscles, eliminate scar tissue and realign the vertebrae in the neck and spine. For more information or to make an appointment, contact us at 858-486-1222.